Student Association

SA executives relay student concerns as university looks to improve campus transportation

Joe Zhao | Asst. Photo Editor

SA is working with the university to address student feedback surrounding daily transportation concerns. Vice President Yasmin Nayrouz said introduced changes could come next semester.

Syracuse University’s Student Association announced it is working with the university to address feedback surrounding daily transportation concerns and hopes to introduce changes as soon as next semester, SA Vice President Yasmin Nayrouz said during its Monday meeting.

Last week, Nayrouz said she brought several common student concerns — such as delayed trolleys, reliability of public transportation schedules, overcrowding of bus stops and lack of access to grocery stores — to SU’s Parking and Transportation Services.

“There is already work being done to make shuttle services better on and off campus,” Nayrouz said. “Last week, there were people out (at shuttle stops) to watch and take notes. They are very eager to follow up.”

Nayrouz said many of these issues circulate SU’s South Campus facilities, which are located about two miles away from North Campus and house approximately 2,500 undergraduate students.

The university offers various transportation services, such as ‘Cuse Trolleys and Centro public transportation shuttles, to on-and-off-campus locations.

“Campus transportation services hope to work with Centro over the summer to add more buses on campus to combat overcrowding at bus stops,” Nayrouz said.

Nayrouz said the extra buses are needed at busier times of the day as major stations quickly become crowded with commuters. One specific time she highlighted was 9:30 a.m., when many students travel to campus for their morning classes.

Another major issue Nayrouz highlighted was students’ lack of access to off-campus grocery stores, especially those who do not have meal plans through the university.

The university provides students with convenience stores, including Skytop Marketplace on South Campus and the West Campus Market. These facilities offer students the typical goods of a convenience store, but do not provide items — such as fresh produce — that students must travel to grocery stores to buy.

Many students rely on university transportation to shop for groceries, Nayrouz said, and oftentimes must face an unreliable bus schedule and delays.

“The main role of the Student Association is to advocate for students,” Nayrouz said. “This is something that needs addressing.”

During the meeting, the assembly did not meet quorum and was unable to vote on two new cabinet bills, titled “Food for Fiscal Codes Town Hall” and “Finance Board Retreat.” SA members will cast their votes for the bills electronically, Speaker Kennedy Williams said.

Other business:

• SA president-elect German Nolivos — who currently serves as its vice president of community and government affairs — said its inaugural Multicultural Olympics, originally slated to take place on April 13, has been suspended due to time constraints and weather concerns. Nolivos said the committee hopes to revisit planning the event in the future.
  • SA will host a tree planting event on South Campus for Earth Week, Speaker Pro Tempore Richard Maj said. The event will take place on April 27 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
  • Kayla Turner, SA director relationship violence advocacy and awareness, encouraged the assembly to attend Take Back The Night — an annual gathering to raise awareness for sexual violence. This year’s event will be held on April 10 in the Schine Student Center’s Panasci Lounge at 8:00 p.m.